Friday, December 18, 2009

Mistborn: The Final Empire

By Brandon Sanderson
So I actually read this book while we were in Priest Lake, ID, way back in August. And I liked it so much that I came home, bought the entire trilogy, and promptly reread it. Yes, that is right. I finished my borrowed copy, gave it back, bought a new copy, and promptly started rereading it. I liked it that much. I also felt like I was so caught up in the action and the plot the first time that I was missing some of the important details about this world and the skills that the Mistborn have.

This book could have stood alone and I would have been pretty happy. It is thought out down to the detail, full of action, good thinking, and great characters. It falls into the fantasy/science fiction category but I hate to put that label on it as it doesn't fit the stereotype. The characters have more depth and they aren't perfect. They question themselves and give you the freedom to question them too. I found myself respecting each of the characters, but not to the point of wanting to be them. They had to go through too much to really want to be them. Yet they were happy and they keep on surviving. I liked it. And I was pretty happy when I found out that there were two more more books to read.

No comments: