Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

By Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie BarrowsMy mother-in law recommended this book to my mom, who also liked it, so I decided that I should probably read it. It is a very fast read, and very enjoyable. The story takes place just after the end of World War II and the characters, who are all British, are trying to figure out what life after the war is like. The book is written in the form of letters between an author, various friends, and a group of people that she becomes pen pals with. The premise of the book doesn't sound amazing or fascinating but the characters are. All of the characters are readers, some unintentionally. I like that about them. And they have interesting, funny conversations about books. The characters are all struggling to come to terms with what has happened to their lives, but are amazingly happy and resilient and kind hearted. The book is funny, with little everyday humor and people who are hilarious and don't even know it. And it is very personable, with the characters really coming to life through the letters that they write to each other.

I recommend it. It really won't take much time to read either. I was sad when it was over. And had this funny urge to write someone a letter.

1 comment:

heather jane said...

I adored this book and felt the same way you did. I have not taken the time to read many novels this year, so this was a welcome reprieve in a dry spell.