Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Playing for Pizza

By John Grisham
My mom picked up this book at Costco a while back and wanted me to see if it was any good. I am always happy to be handed a book so I gave it a try. Playing for Pizza is about a professional football player who is terrible at football, but that is all that he knows how to do. He singlehandedly ruins a big game and no one will hire him, except for a small team in Italy. The other players on the team all play for pizza and love of football, he is the only paid player. As the book progresses he learns about loving football, being part of a team, and realizing that there is more to life than football.

John Grisham is a great writer, with an amazing ability to suck you into a plot. Because of that the book was enjoyable to read. It was fun, nothing bad about it. But there was way too much football talk for me. There was excellent descriptions of the plays they ran, things I didn't understand or care about, and injuries that people recieved. All of the parts that bore me about football. There were also great descriptions of Italian food, countryside, and people; but all of the football talk definitely turned me off from ever reading this book again. If you are at all interested in football you would enjoy this book, but I myself am not.

No comments: