Thursday, September 25, 2008

Riding Lessons

By Sara GruenIn case you didn't catch it, this book is by the same author that wrote Water For Elephants, one of the books we read for our book club meeting. I saw this at Value Village for 2$ and thought it was worth trying to see if I liked it. And I really liked it. It wasn't as sensational as Water for Elephants, but her writing is just a good and the story she weaves is pretty compelling.

The story follows Annemarie who, after a divorce, moves her troubled teenage daughter back to her childhood home. Doesn't sound too noteworthy, but Annemarie was an Olympic Equestrian who suffered a freak accident that killed her horse and almost killed her. And she never got back on a horse. And her childhood home is a horse farm. And Annemarie's father is dying. Sounds rather depressing right? Amazingly, it is not. I think my favorite thing about this book is that it focuses on characters who are not perfect. They make a lot of dumb mistakes, just like the rest of us do. But they learn to come to grips with some of the drama/trauma in their lives and get back on a track. I also like that the story never aims to make the characters lives perfect, just normal and livable. If I had to pick a theme for this book I would say that it revolves around families (and all of the problems that come with family) and love, in all of its diffrenet forms. I would highly recommend this book, purely enjoyable.

No comments: