Friday, September 12, 2008

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

By Kate Douglas Wiggin(Sorry about the cover art, there isn't much out there and I'm too lazy to scan)

My book reading has taken a serious turn towards guilty pleasure. I think it could be attributed to the sense of impending doom that I have about school starting soon. Whatever the reason, a few days ago when we were heading out to donate plasma I needed a book and this is what sound good. And it was. This a really old (1903) children's classic book. The plot is kind of along the lines of Anne of Green Gables and Little Women, but the simpleness of writting is more towards 5 Little Peppers and How They Grew (which by the way I am looking for a copy of). Essentially, the book is about a young girl, Rebecca, whose family is very poor. She is sent to live with her aunts who are going to give her an education. The book follows her mishaps as she grows up and makes everyone around her love her and want to help her. This book is very easy to read, very simplistic, suitable for a child, and has lots of little morals worked in. But I Iike that sort of thing every once in a while. Sometimes it feels good to read about a time when life was simple, people learn and grow and try and be better, good people are rewarded, and everyone ends up happy (do you think it was really like that?)

No comments: