Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hatchet

By Gary PaulsenSo we went to donate plasma again today and I felt like a light read, again. Hatchet isn't quite as good as I remembered it being when I was younger. Don't get me wrong, the story is still great and I get wrapped up in all of the little details the author includes. The main character in the book, Brian, is involved in a plane crash in the Canadian Wilderness and has to survive for 50 days by himself, with nothing but his hatchet. I love all the creative things that Brian does to survive, it caught my imagination as a kid and it still does. The writing style is just a bit more simplistic than I remember. There isn't much to the story but Brian figuring out how to catch food and make fire. I remember being totally mesmerized by this when I was younger. Now I was interested but not mesmerized. On that note, I totally recommend this book for a kid on any day or for an adult on a simple, easy read day.

No comments: