Monday, August 25, 2008

The Rapture of Canaan

By Sheri Reynolds
My friend and coworker Belinda recommended this book to me and I really enjoyed it. It was totally different from anything else that I have read lately and I needed that. The author has an amazing writing style, it totally sucks you in. She has great descriptions of emotions and people, she has fine tuned the art of giving you lots of information in subtle ways that don't drag on forever. Her writing style is also really easy to read; the book is a decent size and I read it basically in one sitting.

The Rapture of Canaan is obviously meant for adults. which surprised me because the main character is a young girl. The writing is clean and decent for anyone to read, but the themes in it and the issues that the characters deal with are definitely better suited for adult readers. The book really makes you think about some hard issues in life. I don't want to tell you too much about the book, because I think it would ruin the reading but here is a little gist.

The main character, Ninah, lives in a religious community run by her grandfather. They have very strict rules, most of which lean to the absurd side. The grandfather didn't start the community to be absurdly religious, but more to keep his family together and near him. The book follows Ninah for over a year as she grows from a child to a young adult. During that time Ninah, with the help of her grandmother, learns how to balance making your own decisions while still being a part of a large, connected family. A lot of really interesting things happen along Ninah's journey, but I don't want to tell you. Then you wouldn't read the story.

P.S. While looking for a picture I found this other review by someone else who loved it.

No comments: