Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Breath of Snow and Ashes

By Diana Gabaldon
This book is the sixth book in the Outlander series and you should not read it without reading the others! My Poppy (my mom's dad) recommended these books to me and was even kind enough to send me all of his copies. I love them. Andrew hates it when I start one because I carry it with me everywhere. I can't think of a good way to describe them that doesn't sound kind of cheesy but trust me they aren't.

The premise of the series is that a woman, Claire, accidentally goes back in time and ends up in the 1700's. She falls in love with a Scottish Highlander, Jamie. The series is about their lives during the Scottish uprising, traveling to the colonies, and the American Revolution. I'm not a big romance novel person, but the romance in this book is balanced with some reason, not very mushy, and includes normal realistic fights. I'm not a big time traveler book, but the characters in the series are just as confused about the time traveling as I would be, so that makes it better. And I love historical fiction! My favorite thing about these books is the glimpse into the day to day life of the characters, not just an action packed plot. You really feel like you know them and that they are fairly normal people. The author is also pretty funny and remembers to write about both the humorous and sad things that happen in life.

There are at least 2 more books coming, the author is working on one that should be done at the end of this year and she says that it isn't the end of the story. Each of the six books is between 600-1100 pages, so don't get started on these unless you like a long, in depth detailed book.

No comments: