Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Giver

By Lois LowryThe Giver is a wonderful little book about a 12 year old boy named Jonas and his role in his futuristic society. At first it seems like this society is perfect, but we gradually learn, as Jonas learns, that this society is very far from perfect. The book follows Jonas as he learns about the problems of his society and what his role was supposed to be and as he decides how he is going to change what is happening.

I love this book, I have read it many times before. Lois Lowry is a great writer. Her writing is expressive and deep but is very easy to read. I also like that her stories can be read at many different levels. I think that this book could be read (and is read) and loved by many late elementary school children. I also think that this book can be appreciated on a very adult level and should be reread many times throughout your life.

No comments: